Service Team Representative
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position, based out of our International Office in Valparaiso, Indiana.
Kids Alive International (www.kidsalive.org) is a Christ-centered organization that believes every child deserves to live free from the bondage of hunger, abuse, and exploitation. Our commitment to this Biblical truth compels us to rescue orphans and vulnerable children and meet their spiritual, physical, educational, and emotional needs, with compassion and excellence.
Our Service Team program is designed to connect churches, schools, and organizations with our international ministries to provide healthy and life-changing experiences as members are challenged to grow in their faith and expand their understanding of God’s kingdom. Kids Alive sends approximately 100 Service Teams each year to our ministry sites in seven countries around the world. The Service Team Representative will champion the vision of Kids Alive’s Service Team program, enabling short-term teams of people to visit our international ministry sites.
Our desire is for this position to actively recruit and engage team-sending churches, schools, and Christian organizations, allowing them to gain first-hand knowledge of how God is at work around the world and through the ministry of Kids Alive. This individual will handle the acquiring and coordination of each team’s details and logistics, establishing relationships with key individuals and providing a clear vision of how Service Teams fit into the larger picture of Kids Alive’s partnerships and its international ministry objectives and vision.
Leadership and growth
- Communicate the vision for growth and excellence of the Service Team program in support of broader organization goals; oversee implementation of Kids Alive International’s strategic plan as it relates to Service Teams
Drive the program forward and deliver the desired growth in KA-Service Teams, both quantitatively and qualitatively.
- Demonstrate a high level of industry knowledge and proficiency in cross-cultural opportunities and challenges; participate in relevant trainings, conversations, and conferences in support of being a thought leader in the sector
Identify, track, proactively plan for, and respond to potential Service Team risks, such as issues related to travel, personal safety, health, and child protection
- Maintain consistency between the Service Team program and overall ministry goals, vision, and branding of Kids Alive International
- Manage multiple Service Team budgets; establish program expectations and annual projections of income and expenditures
- Oversee budgets, money transfers for every team, and monthly review of statement of activity to maintain accuracy
- Maintain appropriate standing with Standards of Excellence in Short-Term Missions (www.soe.org)
Coordinate and collaborate
Process and evaluation
- Help ensure quality and consistency of on-field experiences of Service Teams by equipping and training team hosts, assisting in evaluating needs, capacity, and staffing
- Work with Country Directors and in-country team hosts to establish team calendar, identify appropriate projects, and facilitate communication between fields and team leaders
- Ensure a timely and effective process for contracting teams, developing and collecting appropriate paperwork (contracts, rosters, forms, flights), funds processing (invoices, fund distribution) and sharing team information with team hosts (flights, sponsors, fund transfers)
- Make decisions and solve problems quickly regarding the many unique aspects of individual teams to maintain effectiveness of the program and foster healthy relationships
- Deploy a series of effective communications that will orient, inform, inspire, and thank team members, as well as to invite them to participate in the broader Kids Alive ministry, become advocates and build long-term relationships, including post-trip evaluations
- Manage responsibilities and workload of a part-time Service Team Assistant who handles administrative work related to Service Team processes
- Advise President and Senior Executive Team on matters related to vision, evaluations, budgets, policy matters, and crisis or emergency situations
- Review and update website content and forms, create SE codes, enter new accounts, process Welcome Home letters and communication records, and create reports to analyze Service Team data
Minimum four years of proven experience in the cross-cultural mission sector
At least two years of similar work experience, i.e., with a church, organization, or nonprofit with a cross-cultural ministry
Deep understanding of and sensitivity to the unique challenges of working globally, respecting the diversity of our people and cultures
- Ability to travel nationally and/or internationally 15-20% of the time
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Proven experience leading and motivating a team
- Ability to manage large caseload of relationships
- Efficient organizational and management abilities, including ability to carry details through to completion
- Ability to independently manage time and priorities, work diligently, and make good decisions
Proficiency in MS Office suite, databases, etc.
- Committed Christian with personal faith in Jesus Christ and a heart for serving orphans and vulnerable children
Alignment with the driving mission/vision/core values of Kids Alive International, the Bible, Christian theology, faith, and practice as stated on our website at www.kidsalive.org/meet-kids-alive/about/what-we-believe/ and www.kidsalive.org/meet-kids-alive/about/
- Active participation in and contribution to individual and corporate prayer times, devotionals, and worship
Completion of a criminal background check
- Commitment to champion and contribute towards our organizational culture
- Consistent commitment to open and honest communication, demonstrating respect for all
Integrity and strong character confirmed by personal and employment references
You will be prompted to upload your resume and cover letter. Address your cover letter to Julia Schmoyer.
In your cover letter, please thoughtfully describe your beliefs/philosophy about:
- The role of short-term missions in God’s kingdom work
- The risks and benefits of short-term missions, and
- How short-term missions can be done in a healthy way, especially in contexts with vulnerable children
Please answer the application questions thoroughly.
The hired individual will work out of our office in Valparaiso Indiana. Applications from those wishing to work remotely will not be considered. If you are currently remote but willing to relocate if accepted, please let us know.